Monday, May 24, 2010

New on The Spence Family--Picnic Anyone?

The first graders are supposed to be going on a picnic today. Supposed to be walking to the park with parents that want to accompany the class walking along too. You'd think the last week of May would be safe to plan something like that, but no. It's snowing. Earlier it was sleeting/snowing/hailing. Again. It rained all night.

This spring is a dud. It sure is nice to have this global warming problem, isn't it?

I mean, water and precipitation is great and all. Neither Roger or I can remember a time when we haven't started watering the lawn by the end of May, and Utah is always short of water. But THIS IS RIDICULOUS! Go away, bad weather.

See, the problem is, the warmest spring days we've had were back in March, with just a couple of decent April days. Now, after these last storms roll through, it will be summer. Summer is hot. We didn't get just WARM. And that doesn't bode well for me, or for the garden.

The tomatoes did fine until a cold night in May when they froze. The beans aren't really coming up, and will need replanting. I guess the onions look okay. Just about the only thing happy is the lettuce. Everything else needs replanting. Except, that is, the tomatoes that were in a Wall O' Water.

I think I would be raving over (or ranting over) this product or that quite often if I had a very big readership, but instead I post pictures of the kids so they remember that we did actually do stuff, and all that. But I can't NOT mention how much I love these things. Our 3 tomato plants in these babies are already tall enough to be busting out the top. Their stems are huge and hearty.
Compare that to the miserable little 6 inch frozen plants (that wilty thing next to the green things in the picture), and it's pretty amazing. Each one is a miniature greenhouse and you can even plant in February if you set them up a few weeks in advance of planting and let them warm the ground for you. We just planted when the ground was warm (before all this winter revisits again and again nonsense) and it has kept it that way.
Like tomatoes? Live in a cold climate? Give them a try. Home Depot runs out quick but next year I'll have 8 or 9! Ha! You'll see, dumb ol' weather! My tomatoes won't care!!

Ok, I'm done. (P.S. I just spelled done, "dun")

2 comments:

  1. What a bummer. Between the snow and Jayne's white nylons, your spring is a bust. So sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack. Come to Boston where it's warm :)

    ReplyDelete

Please use "J" and "T" if you feel like including them in a comment. Thanks!